Wednesday 9 February 2011

A day of 'Fun'

I suppose this very much depends on someone's opinion of fun!

Today started with a 'tutorial' on the other side of campus in the module; Environmental Engineering and Life Cycle Analysis. This was instead a video from Steven Koonin, the current under secretary of state for the US Department of Energy, and previous chief scientist for BP. (see: clients.mediaondemand.net/bp/)
This afternoon, I attended two successive presentations about nuclear power. One given by Lee Dodds of University of Tennessee, giving a US perspective and the other by Andrew Worrall of the UK National Nuclear Lab, giving a UK perspective on nuclear energy. Later followed a presentation by Prof. Peter Liss on Geo-Engineering and its use in sequestering CO2 from the atmosphere.

Having proceeded to the final of the nPower energy challenge (npower.com/brightergraduates/npower-challenges-you.html) in the heats on monday, I am finding myself doing less chemical engineering and more and more stuff to do with energy.

Regrettably, my first real interest in energy and climate change started on my bus journey to school listing to a UK government radio advert. www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzjOcOcQ90U

I would like to present my own views on climate change and UK energy:
  • However persuasive the nuclear power talks today were, and how pro-nuclear the government is, I am still anti-nuclear. The main reason being the scale of the projects - it is simply not a 'Technology with a human face' (amazon.co.uk/Small-Beautiful-Economics-People-Mattered/dp/0349131325)
  • Renewables need to make up a large proportion of energy supply, supported by the UK government
  • High taxes and duties on non-renewable fuels are needed to support the renewable alternatives.
  • Electrification of heating is essential to remove dependence from gas
  • Storage technologies are required to match demand & supply. For the UK, this should be in the form of large scale tidal lagoons.
  • Climate change is the single greatest threat to mankind
  • 9 billion people IS sustainable.
My realistic UK energy policy: (http://2050-calculator-tool.decc.gov.uk/)
In my opinion, this tool gives the most comprehensive view of what individual opinions mean in reality. Read the analysis report to find out what these choices mean in reality.

Unfortunately my energy mix does not meet the obligations of the UK 2008 Climate Change Act. This would be my adapted plan:



What is so apparent is how many opinions their are about the subject. Almost every statement has to start with 'I believe' (btw a great song by Simian Mobile Disco).
It is this mix of viewpoints which makes my studies so interesting.

This however only gives a UK perspective of Energy. The Poor People's Energy Outlook outlines the importance of energy for people living in the developing world. This is essential for a fairer and more equal society.

No comments:

Post a Comment